Monday, May 10, 2010

A Pleasant Week-End On The Farm

I took my Sweety to Southern Oregon this week-end to see a play in Ashland (Pride and Prejudice at the Oregon Shakespearean Festival) and to prowl around Ashland and Jacksonville. I love Ashland for it's magical feel. Lithia Park is something right out of a fairy tale. We found a FABULOUS bead store called Bead Studio. Went to a cute little artisan's market, ate some really good food. Then we wandered around historic Jacksonville for a while.

However, I think the best part of the week-end was the Bed and Breakfast we stayed in. The Apothecary Inn is located in a tiny town called Ruch, right outside of Jacksonville. This inn is owned by a young couple who raise miniature donkeys, Dwarf Nigerian Goats, llamas, chickens, angora goats and a couple of cats. They also grow much of the food that they prepare for their guests in the form of gourmet breakfast. Such yummy items as Maple Ginger waffles, eggs with sage and chives, and watermelon and raspberries. Granted, not everything comes from the farm, since there isn't much growing in May, but the fresh eggs were delectable and the cream that we put in our coffee had none of the "goaty" taste that you equate with goat's milk (Thanks to the breed of goats they raise).  Homemade blackberry jam on freshly made sourdough rolls was pure heaven. We left with 4 jars of homemade peach preserves and peach-rosemary jam tucked in our luggage.
Our room was nothing to sniff at either. One of the most comfortable beds I've ever slept on, hot tub on a private desk, and hand made soap in the bathroom. The house is decorated with lovely antiques and original art. A spinning wheel in the livingroom is where Ryan spins the wool that Jillian weaves on her loom.
The grande dame of the farm is "Gloria", the sweetest llama you have ever met. She is the "guard dog" for 4 angora goats and greets visitors from her pasture when they arrive. My husband was so smitten he asked me if I thought the neighbors would mind if we got a llama.

All in all, Ryan and Jillian made our little week-end get-away a success. treating us like we were family. I highly recommend their Inn, especially if you want a place to get away from the hub-bub of the city. You will leave feeling like you found long lost members of your family.

6 comments:

  1. What a wonderful place to stay! Are you going to allow your husband a llama? I'd love to have one :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Danielle,
    Unfortunately, we live on only a third of an acre and that isn't enough land for a llama (in addition to 12 cats, 2 dogs and a conure who can screech so loud she makes your brain bleed).
    So Sweety will just have to take me back to the Apothecary Inn if he wants time with Gloria.
    Cenya

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I want to live on a farm.
    Imagine having my very own llama!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for your comment on my blog, had to pop over & visit yours! :)

    Fabulous post...& peach rosemary jam sounds amazing!! I love rosemary :)
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. how about an alpaca? they're smaller and two will fit comfortably in a minivan or back of an SUV? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Ashland, my husband and I were fortunate enough to live in Oregon for about 5 years and the festival was one of the high lights of our time there. You made me very hungry thinking of that wonderful breakfast you experienced.
    Christine

    ReplyDelete

Please weave a web of words for all to see.